In honor of National Check the Chip Day, we have some facts for you:
- A family pet is lost every two seconds.
- One out of three pets is lost during their lifetimes.
- Only one in ten is found.
Those are some scary statistics! If your pet isn't microchipped, maybe it's time to make an appointment with your vet to do so. If your pet is microchipped:
- Check your pet’s registration information in the microchip manufacturer’s database to ensure all contact information is current. To do this, you will need to contact the manufacturer of your pet’s microchip directly and give them your pet’s microchip number.
- If you do not know the manufacturer of your pet’s microchip, AAHA’s Universal Pet Microchip Lookup Tool can help. This internet-based application is linked to the registries of the majority of microchip manufacturers and allows a quick database search of any microchip made by these manufacturers. Simply enter your pet’s microchip number and the application will generate the name of the manufacturer.
- Don’t know your pet’s microchip number? Your vet will be happy to help! Simply bring your pet in and we will scan him/her for you.